Thursday, February 12, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Authors Talking

If you would like to join in, click here.

Today's question: From Barbara H: Do you read any author’s blogs? If so, are you looking for information on their next project? On the author personally? Something else?

My Response:
Yes, I do read author's blogs. When I first began blogging, I used to maintain a separate blogroll for authors. I was curious and thought that a blog maintained by a professional writer would be more entertaining. I'd check in each time they'd post, but most proved too tedious as their blog was one long commercial about their up-coming work.

Now, I read Angela Hunt's blog each day and other author's only sporadically. I read Angela's for the same reason I read any blog: because it's interesting. She often has funny tidbits, videos, and thoughts to ponder. She has a book of the month, takes her readers through the writer's process, and recently held a question/answer forum. Her posts are short and to the point. Like others on my blogroll, I think of her as a Blogland Buddy.

How about you? Why do you read any blog?



Check out the LOVE book giveaway on my sidebar!


15 comments:

Yvonne said...

I only look for author blogs when I've really loved a book and want to see what other books the author has written or will write. But, looking at everyone's answers makes me want to check out more author blogs.

Jeane said...

I feel the same way you do. I started following one or two author's blogs, but found them to be boring after a while.

Anonymous said...

None of the blogs I follow are really ads for their books, which is maybe why I like them so much. They do talk about events and promotion but also quite a bit about their lives and the thoughts behind their books, which I just love, so I guess that's why I follow so many.

jlshall said...

Yes, I hate it when the blog turns out to be an advert in disguise. I read blogs because they're entertaining (like this one!) or informative (ditto), and I really don't want to feel the blog's author is trying to sell me something.

gautami tripathy said...

A few of the author's blog are never updated.


Authored, are we?!

Bonnie said...

I occasionally visit author's blogs. For me, it's finding the time and keeping a balance!

Nise' said...

Angela's is one I read as well.

Shanna said...

I guess you are right. I suppose, I've never thought about following an author's blog, cause it never occurred to me and now that it has... I would have come to the conclusion that it would be most about promoting their works. Not always a bad thing, but if I need more info on an author I like, I'll get it one way or another - I'd rather search for it than have it dumped on me. Make sense?

Thanks for sharing.

BTW... Ten Powerful Phrases for Positive People

I got my book yesterday! Your give-a-way was the first time I've won anything by entering bloggy give-a-ways! Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Yes some author blogs are tedious.

Anonymous said...

I think I might look into some other authors I read, just to see if they have a blog and maybe I would read it. Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Robin M said...

I follow several author blogs daily. I find them very informative and interesting.

zetor said...

I follow a couple of websites, not actually blogs. Checking them often , I can check the publication dates of future books, always a good thing!

Anonymous said...

This week’s question unearths the truth that I do not have many favorite authors. Most of the authors whose works I continue to re-read and explore are dead. I have favorite books. The books have to speak for themselves.

Anonymous said...

I read just a few author blogs that I find most interesting. Not every author even has a blog and I'd rather that my favorite authors write books than blogs. :)

The Bookworm said...

nice blog by Angela Hunt :)
I do follow a few of my fav authors blogs and sites.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/