Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Night Watchman by Mark Mynheir

Eleven months ago, Ray Quinn was a tough, quick-witted Orlando homicide detective at the top of his game-until a barrage of bullets ended his career and his partner's life.

Now medically retired with a painful handicap, Ray battles the haunting guilt for his partner's death. Numbing the pain with alcohol and attitude, Ray takes a job as a night watchman at a swanky Orlando condo.

But when a pastor and an exotic dancer are found dead in one of the condos in an apparent murder-suicide, Ray can no longer linger in the shadows.

My Review:
Written in a snappy first-person narrative, this novel presents a protagonist who grabbed my heart from the beginning. I love Ray Quinn! He's far from perfect; he's damaged--physically, psychologically, and spiritually--a retired cop who now earns his pay as a "rent-a-cop"--a night watchman. Perhaps he's so believable because the author is a police officer.

The dialogue rings true, the action is lively, and the book is a must-read! Set in Orlando, Florida, this fast paced murder mystery is not at all typical. I found myself chuckling at some sections. Why, I even shed a tear! I guarantee, you won't feel as if you've read it before. The ending is far from predictable.

I hope that I will have an opportunity to meet Ray Quinn in a sequel. Included is a reader's guide which makes the novel a good book club pick.

If you would like to read the first chapter, click here.

If you would like to buy a copy, click here.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

A snappy, fast paced mystery sounds right up my alley!

Dixie said...

Sounds like my kind of read... reminds me of a book written by Robert Crais called The Watchman.

think i'll have to add this to my "gonna read" list.