Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Voice New Testament

The Voice™ is the product of the best minds in this emerging generation of Christian leaders. Together they are helping young people fall in love with the Scriptures. Instead of confining God’s Word in the framework of biblical criticism, The Voice™ highlights the beauty of God’s communication to His people. In The Voice™, the voice of God is heard as clearly as when He first revealed His truth.

This is the first-ever complete New Testament in The Voice™ translation. Writers include Chris Seay, Lauren Winner, Brian McLaren, Greg Garrett, David B. Capes, and others.


My Review:
Thank you to Thomas Nelson for my copy of this new version of the New Testament. I was interested in seeing how it would compare to the many already on the market. I must report that I like the way this is handled. The language is easy to understand and furthermore, there are little boxes of additional informational material inserted throughout the text that amplify. Background material on the writer and times that enable the reader to easily relate to the topic at hand. Dialog is perhaps the easiest to understand as it's laid out in script-type format, which makes it quite clear as to who is speaking.

However, the additional little boxes of informational material are what would make me hesitate to recommend this version to a new student of the Bible. He or she might become confused and think that what is not scripture is part of God's Word. Although, I think that most people would have no difficulty discerning the difference, I would hate to be a participant in muddying up God's Word. Therefore, I will give it a thumbs up to Bible scholars, but thumbs down as a "first" Bible for anyone else.

No comments: