Wednesday, August 21, 2013

It Is Well with My Soul by Shelly Beach

Meditations for Those Living with Illness, Pain, and the Challenges of Aging

Living with chronic illness, growing older, or facing the end of life can be a frightening experience.

In this insightful devotional designed for care receivers, you’ll find a collection of short meditations to encourage you or someone you love.

Gain a deeper understanding of God’s purposes in situations of suffering through engaging narrative, personal experience stories, and the use of humor.

Discover how you can find hope and contentment in Jesus.


My Review:
This title grabbed my attention right away because this is my favorite hymn. Then the subtitle spoke to me as I live with illness, pain, and the challenges of aging. As I read, I happily discovered that the author had put some of my experiences down on paper. (She and I have many similar experiences, so I quickly connected!)

What a treasure this small book is. The author writes of her life experiences as well as some situations that others face. All are penned in an uplifting manner. Everyone faces these bumps--or steep mountains in life or knows someone who does. Shelly Beach helps the reader understand that God is ever present, even when it feels as if He is far away.

This collection of snippets and anecdotes are turned into meditations that point the reader toward the things of God. Each offering comes with a Bible verse and two thought-provoking questions along with a short prayer. It's perfect for use as a devotional, but could also be well used for a group study guide. It would make a nice gift for anyone "living with illness, pain, and the challenges of aging."

Thank you to Anne Bauman at Discovery House Publishers for my copy.

No comments: