Sunday, November 9, 2008

Lady Flatterley by Linda Wagner

This book is about a unique caterpillar named Lady Flatterley. It was Lady Flatterley’s dream to become a butterfly, not knowing all along this was already God’s great plan for her.

Unbeknownst to Lady Flatterley, the process required some work on her part to build a cocoon! This story follows one of God’s little miracles as she transforms into what God had in store for her. God has great plans for each one of us too, just like He did for Lady Flatterley.


My Review:
How nice to discover a new author of Christian children's books who understands children and books. The story is written in rhyme, with a playful attitude. I found myself wishing I had a little one on my lap as I read the different voices. The pages are beautifully illustrated and loaded with vivid colors by Pearl L. Ollie.

There's something for a wide age span. For the youngest reader, there are so many details to point out and discuss: "Where's a turtle?" "Do you see a dragonfly?" or "Find a fish." For the older child, there's the science of how a caterpillar becomes a butterfly. I especially like the part where the reader learns to leave a struggling caterpillar alone; I've always been tempted to help them out a bit. Depending of the ability of the child, alliteration could be taught.

All of this is summed up neatly by declaring the making of a butterfly to be "God's way." I recommend this one for the children on your gift list.

1 comment:

MySharonAnne said...

I just reviewed this one. It's not something I would give to a child but I can see why some people would.