Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wondrous Wordless Wednesday

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where a group shares new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. Feel free to join by posting your new words, then leaving a comment for Kathy with your link at Bermuda Onion.

The object is to increase our vocabulary while having a bit of fun.

Here are some new words that I’ve discovered this past week from Let Darkness Come by Angela Hunt:

1. moue - a little grimace; pout.
Pronunciation: \ˈmü\

She makes a moue. "What if I don't want to deal with no overblown catfight?"(34).


2. chuffs - the sound of noisy exhaust or exhalations
Pronunciation: \ˈchəf\

Erin chuffs softly. "She was a drunk. We lived on food stamps and welfare, which probably explains why I was attracted to Jeffrey" (90).


3. skirling - to scream, shriek;
Pronunciation: \ˈskər(-ə)l, ˈskir(-ə)l\

The skirling wind skitters past Briley, tossing hair into her face and whippin her skirt around her legs (287).

10 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Those are all great words! Moue looks like it might be French in origin, so I feel like I should have known it, but I didn't. Thanks for participating!

Lisa said...

Good words! I've seen them before, but I don't think I've ever used skirling.

My list is here.

Kaye said...

skirling makes me think of banshees or bagpipes. great list!

gautami tripathy said...

All sound good to me!

Here is my Wondrous Words Wednesdays post!

Lisa notes... said...

I like "skirling." It sounds like it is defined. Thanks for sharing.

Snowbell said...

I didn't know skirling but I really like the sound of it.
Here are my words

Heather said...

Ooooooo I like chuffs and skirling!!! Those are fantastic words!

Deanna/ibeeeg said...

Those are great words! I really like the words...well, I like them all. I must write them down in my little vocab notebook.

Margot at Joyfully Retired said...

Based on your words, I like your book. Just the few sentences make for a great teaser.

Khim said...

Hi Sally!

thanks for the nice comment..

This blog of your is good for me to refresh my vocubulary list...

Thanks for sharing..