Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where readers share new (to us) words encountered in our reading.

Feel free to join by posting your new words, and then leaving a comment for Kathy with your link at Bermuda Onion.

The object is to increase our vocabulary while having a bit of fun.

Here are new words that I’ve discovered this week;

1. portcullis - "The gate here was no retractable barrier, but a massive portcullis set in ancient-looking stone-blockwall running in both directions" (108). Deadlock by Robert Liparulo

portcullis - a grating of iron hung over the gateway of a fortified place and lowered between grooves to prevent passage










2. sumptuary - Sumptuary laws can be slippery things, Miss Arlington" (87). A Vote of Confidence by Robin Lee Hatcher

sumptuary - designed to regulate extravagant expenditures or habits especially on moral or religious grounds


7 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Two great new words. I think I'll be able to remember portcullis because it looks like portico. Thanks for playing along, Sally.

Jo-Jo said...

These are great words! Sounds like the banking industry would benefit from creating some sumptuary laws! lol

Anonymous said...

Great words, ones I've probably just overlooked in the past.

Lisa said...

Excellent words! I don't think I've ever run across sumptuary - although I am pretty familiar with sumptuous!

Margot said...

Two good words. I like the picture you used to help demonstrate the definition. I'm going to try to use sumptuary on someone today.

-Margot at Joyfully Retired

avisannschild said...

Portcullis I knew, but sumptuary is a completely new one to me!

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

So that's what a portcullis is. That's one of those words that i vaguely visualize so thanks for the picture.