Saturday, March 28, 2009

Faith 'n Fiction Saturday - The Christy Nominees

My friend Amy is the host for Faith 'n Fiction Saturday. She poses the questions and we try to answer them. If you're interested, check it out here.
The Christy Award is designed to:
* Nurture and encourage creativity and quality in the writing and publishing of fiction written from a Christian worldview.
* Bring a new awareness of the breadth and depth of fiction choices available, helping to broaden the readership.
* Provide opportunity to recognize novelists whose work may not have reached bestseller status.

Today's assignment is:
Look at the list of nominees and share whether or not you have read any of them. If you haven't read that particular novel, have you read anything by that author? Have you read all of the books in any category? What are your favorite books on the list? Are there any books you haven't heard of?

Christy Award Nominees, 2009:
CONTEMPORARY ROMANCE
Beyond the Night by Marlo Schalesky • WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group
Finding Stefanie by Susan May Warren • Tyndale House Publishers
Zora and Nicky: A Novel in Black and White by Claudia Mair Burney • David C. Cook

CONTEMPORARY SERIES, SEQUELS, AND NOVELLAS
Sisterchicks Go Brit! by Robin Jones Gunn • WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group
Summer Snow by Nicole Baart • Tyndale House Publishers
You Had Me at Good-bye by Tracey Bateman • FaithWords

CONTEMPORARY STANDALONE
Dogwood by Chris Fabry • Tyndale House Publishers
Embrace Me by Lisa Samson • Thomas Nelson
Tuesday Night at the Blue Moon by Debbie Fuller Thomas • Moody Publishers

FIRST NOVEL
Blue Hole Back Home by Joy Jordan-Lake • David C. Cook
Rain Song by Alice J. Wisler • Bethany House Publishers
Safe at Home by Richard Doster • David C. Cook

HISTORICAL
Shadow of Colossus by T.L. Higley • B&H Publishing Group
Until We Reach Home by Lynn Austin • Bethany House Publishers
Washington’s Lady by Nancy Moser • Bethany House Publishers

HISTORICAL ROMANCE
Calico Canyon by Mary Connealy • Barbour Publishers
From a Distance by Tamera Alexander • Bethany House Publishers
The Moon in the Mango Tree by Pamela Binnings Ewen • B&H Publishing Group

SUSPENSE
By Reason of Insanity by Randy Singer • Tyndale House Publishers
The Rook by Steven James • Revell
Winter Haven by Athol Dickson • Bethany House Publishers

VISIONARY
The Battle for Vast Dominion by George Bryan Polivka • Harvest House Publishers
Shade by John B. Olson • B&H Publishing Group
Vanish by Tom Pawlik • Tyndale House Publishers

YOUNG ADULT
The Fruit of My Lipstick by Shelley Adina • FaithWords
I Have Seen Him in the Watchfires by Cathy Gohlke • Moody Publishers
On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson • WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group

My Response:
I have read and LOVED Until We Reach Home by Lynn Austin and The Rook by Steven James. These books were terrific. I also read and enjoyed Rain Song by Alice J. Wisler. It's exciting to see these three listed as nominees, and I hope they win. My reviews are listed in my sidebar under both the title and the author.

I have just started If Tomorrow Never Comes by Marlo Schalesky. It's the first book I've read by her.

I've read and reviewed The Perfect Match by Susan May Warren. I hope to read more of her titles.

Among the nominees, Robin Jones Gunn is the author I've read the most. My list includes: Until Tomorrow, Secrets, Sisterchicks in Sombreros, and Engaging Father Christmas. In addition, I have three other titles of hers on my shelf waiting to be read: As You Wish, I Promise, and Gardenias for Breakfast.

I can't help but notice that my favorite author, Angela Hunt, was not nominated. She continually pumps out fantastic work. The Face was certainly worthy of a nod. However, it's wonderful that there are so many authors I haven't yet read and so many good titles waiting to be explored. We live in an exciting time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been hearing good things about The Rook. I'll have to pick that up. My answer is up at Free Spirit-

http://tinyurl.com/ctn4es

Jenny said...

I really enjoyed The Rook, too. Robin Jones Gunn is the author on the list that I've read the most books by as well.

Happy Reading!

Mimi N said...

I just finished reading Marlo's book that you're reading now and really liked it. I love SMW and wish Angie was on the list, like you said! I agree that there are a lot of new authors on the list I haven't read yet, either.

Blessings,
Mimi B
Woven by Words

Sunny said...

I really liked Until You Reach Home, too. And I've been wanting to read The Rook.

deepsouthrunner said...

I am reading "The Rook" by Steven James right now, and even though I haven't finished it yet, I can tell you that it is an extremely well-written, suspenseful book. He is masterfully weaving together various plot points that seem completely separate but are all related. I haven't read any of the other books in that category, but if "The Rook" won it would be well deserved.