Saturday, February 28, 2009

Faith 'n Fiction Saturday - I Wish

My friend Amy is the host for Faith 'n Fiction Saturday. She poses the questions and we try to answer them. If you're interested, check it out here.

Today's topic is:
Christian fiction is growing as a market, but there are still many unexplored storylines and under-represented genres. What issues or ideas would you like to see tackled from a Christian worldview? Or, what setting would you like to see? Which genres would you like to see more books?

My Response:
I have been blown away by the diversity in Christian Fiction; it seems to me that everything possible to be covered has been covered. There's even a newly emerging category called "edgy" Christian Fiction. Think of Stephen Baldwin's book containing adult situations and profanity!

Teen fiction or Young Adult fiction is blossoming too. I've recently read and reviewed a science fiction about moving in and out of time (Out of Time by Paul McCusker), a thriller about blood diamonds (Diamonds in the Shadow by Caroline B. Cooney--scheduled to post March 17th), and today's review about a contemporary teen handling her mentally challenged sister (Just Another Girl by Melody Carlson).

Christian thrillers and suspense novels are my favorite genre and a good many are written by women as well as men. Think of Brandilyn Collins, Colleen Coble, and Terri Blackstock. However, men don't seem to write romance novels. That might be an interesting twist, although I think Christian Fiction is saturated with romance novels.

Maybe you can come up with some ideas for today's questions. I wait to hear from you.

9 comments:

Lynn Squire said...

Personally, I think it is hard for men to write romance novels since women are the main readers of romance. Men don't understand the female mind, and when men get into romance they think physical instead of emotional (romance for women involves the emotions). That said, John Olson is an author who considers himself capable of writing romance - and from what I've read of his, I believe he can.

Stormi said...

my favorites are suspense thrillers too.

I know its hard for men but think of the man Nicholas Sparks who write very good tear jerkers..lol It is hard for men to write romances but I am not sure if its because they can't or they are afraid to try afraid they won't be masculine..lol

Stormi said...

my favorites are suspense thrillers too.

I know its hard for men but think of the man Nicholas Sparks who write very good tear jerkers..lol It is hard for men to write romances but I am not sure if its because they can't or they are afraid to try afraid they won't be masculine..lol

Nise' said...

I am looking for recommendations for YA boys and Out of Time looks perfect! Look forward to your review of Diamonds in the Shadow.

Anonymous said...

Good and comprehensive answer. I like the new "edgy" Christian fiction. I haven't Stephen Baldwin yet - I'll have to check that out. My Owen Fiddler novel has "adult" situations and some profanity in it also. But I couldn't get a Christian pub to take it on so I used a secular pub to have it released.

Donna said...

Great answer. I'll have to check out some of the title you mentioned. As for guys writing romance you are right that there are not many that do so. It would be interesting.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Edgy Christian fiction? I haven't seen this.

kalea_kane said...

I really liked your answers. I look forward to reading your review of Melody Carlson's book! I have to say that the market is definitely expanding, and I am glad. I really like that I can read good Christian fiction with reality, edge, myster, fantasy, and romance too. I remember when I was younger that a lot of Christian fiction seemed to take place in the prairie. I am sure other books were out there, but that was all we could ever get at the stores. So nice to see the changes. Great answers!

:)

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Sally, I've read a few of those listed, and they are quality, fiction books, and like you, I'd live more. Seems like Christian fiction has a stigma that it's all goody goody, but Christian live in the world like everyone else. Thankfully publishing houses are coming around and we're getting the better quality fiction.