Saturday, November 8, 2008

Wild Goose Chase: Reclaim the Adventure of Pursuing God by Mark Batterson

Most of us have no idea where we’re going most of the time. Perfect.

“Celtic Christians had a name for the Holy Spirit–An Geadh-Glas, or ‘the Wild Goose.’ The name hints at mystery. Much like a wild goose, the Spirit of God cannot be tracked or tamed. An element of danger, an air of unpredictability surround Him. And while the name may sound a little sacrilegious, I cannot think of a better description of what it’s like to follow the Spirit through life. I think the Celtic Christians were on to something….

Most of us will have no idea where we are going most of the time. And I know that is unsettling. But circumstantial uncertainty also goes by another name: Adventure.” --from the introduction


My Review:
I won this book in a giveaway. I read that the author is a pastor of National Community Church in Washington, DC--a happening church. Since I was raised in DC, I entered the giveaway. Boy, am I glad that I won!

Chock full of wisdom, this small book is filled with sermon-type discussions on the things of God. The author surprises with chapter 2 "Goose Bumps," when he tells the reader to stop praying. He challenges with chapter 4 "Eight-foot Ceilings," with the background story of the Wright Brothers. And he encourages with chapter 6 "Sometimes It Takes a Shipwreck" when he tells of a disappointment in his life.

This is a good devotional book for an individual, an excellent source for a Bible study group to use chapter by chapter, and an all-around worthy read.

1 comment:

Wyn said...

This sounds like a really interesting book, thanks for the review.